COVID-19 Relief Fund
Please help us face the effects of the unprecedented pandemic. We are asking for your help to cover increased costs. We must raise an additional $300,000, over the next 6 months, to continue to provide our clients with a safe space to shelter in place. Your donation to support our COVID-19 efforts will allow us to continue to carry forward our mission, despite troubling times.
Our response to COVID-19:
- Dwight Way Center which is a 32 bed shelter for men, 32 bed shelter for women, 12 bed transitional housing for veterans, and five single room occupancy for veterans has been open 24/7 since 3/13/2020, providing a safe space for clients to shelter in place.
- The Meals Program is providing breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the Dwight Way Center, delivering to-go community meals to those that need food Monday- Friday outside of our shelter and delivering three meals per day to the 18 RVS and single family house.
- Russell Street Residence, our 21 bed board and care, serving people who previously experienced homelessness and have a mental health diagnosis, continues operations, providing a safe place to shelter in place.
- Across six counties, the Roads Home team is also providing outreach to help get vulnerable veterans and their families off the streets and into hotel rooms. As of 7/16/2020 we have placed over 114 clients into hotel rooms.
- Project Safer Ground: As of 7/20/2020, BFHP has entered into partnership with Alameda County, taking over the Rodeway Inn and Quality Inn on University Ave. in Berkeley. BFHP will provide hotel rooms to people experiencing homelessness in Berkeley, Emeryville and Albany.
- The Berkeley Respite Program has been operating since 6/22/2020. In partnership with the City of Berkeley BFHP has taken over 18 RV trailers in Berkeley and one single-family home, moving people experiencing homelessness off the streets and into a safe place to shelter in place.
- For both Project Safer Ground and the Berkeley Respite Program priority will be given to people experiencing homelessness who are 65+ years of age and/or those with pre-existing medical conditions who are at risk of complications if exposed to the COVD-19 virus.
Ways you can help:
- In-kind donations: We are using supplies very quickly and as many have experienced, it remains difficult to maintain the appropriate level of supplies we need during this time. We still welcome the donations of: new N95 masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, bleach, rubber gloves, paper towels, and toilet paper. Please email email@example.com to coordinate dropping off donations.
- Monetary donations: Your donation will help keep shelters open 24/7 and maintain elevated needs for staffing, food, and supplies. Additionally, With your help we can continue these added measures to aid in the communal fight and help our clients through this pandemic. Your support of our efforts will have an immediate impact.
Special thank you to the following funders for their support of our increased need during COVID-19:
- The BFHP Board of Directors
- The Jewish Teen Foundation of the Jewish Community Federation & Endowment Fund
- The San Francisco Foundation
- The Bald for Small Business campaign
Please follow us on social media as we navigate this journey.
For updates to your inbox, please subscribe to our mailing list below.