Our response to COVID-19
The COVID-19 public health crisis has put our vulnerable clients at even higher risk and we have adapted quickly to continue to carry out our mission.
Here is how we are currently supporting our clients:
- Dwight Way Center has been open 24/7 since March 13th, providing a safe space for 81 clients to shelter in place. As of May 14th, we have been able to decompress our shelters by temporarily transitioning clients to a variety of different accommodations, including 18 RVs and one single family home. There are still housing 43 clients at the Dwight Way Center.
- Our Meals Program is focusing its efforts on making bag lunches for people living in encampments, as well as making to-go meals for our clients in transitional and permanent supportive housing.
- Russell Street Residence continues operations, providing a safe place for 21 clients to shelter in place.
- Case Managers in our Shelter Plus Care Program continue to support 33 clients who have transitioned to permanent housing, with weekly telephone check-ins, grocery and medication delivery, and other support.
- Team Hope is providing outreach to clients living on the street and providing them hotel rooms to shelter in place. To date 13 clients previously living on the streets have been reached in the cities of Emeryville and Albany.
- Across six Northern California counties, Roads Home is also providing outreach to veterans experiencing homelessness to secure safe shelter in hotel rooms. As of May 1st, the VA has removed all restrictions for homeless veterans to qualify for hotel rooms during the COVID-19 outbreak. As of May 10th, 74 clients had been placed in hotel rooms.
Ways you can help:
- In-kind donations: We are using supplies very quickly and as many have experienced, it remains difficult to maintain the appropriate level of supplies we need during this time. We still welcome the donations of: new N95 masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, bleach, rubber gloves, paper towels, and toilet paper. Please email email@example.com to coordinate dropping off donations.
- Monetary donations: BFHP has also met unexpected financial burdens in order to address COVID-19. Your donation will help keep shelters open 24/7 and maintain elevated needs for staffing, food, and supplies. Additionally, With your help we can continue these added measures to aid in the communal fight and help our clients through this pandemic. Your support of our efforts will have an immediate impact.
Special thank you to the following funders for their support of our increased need during COVID-19:
- The BFHP Board of Directors
- The Jewish Teen Foundation of the Jewish Community Federation & Endowment Fund
- The San Francisco Foundation
- The Bald for Small Business campaign
Please follow us on social media as we navigate this journey.
For updates to your inbox, please subscribe to our mailing list below.