COVID-19 Relief Fund
Please help us face the effects of the unprecedented pandemic. We are asking for your help to cover increased costs. We must raise an additional $300,000, over the next 6 months, to continue to provide our clients with a safe space to shelter in place. Your donation to support our COVID-19 efforts will allow us to continue to carry forward our mission, despite troubling times.
Our response to COVID-19:
- Roads Home: Across six counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano, Sacramento, San Joaquin and Amador), our veteran’s services team is providing outreach to help get vulnerable veterans and their families off the streets and into hotel rooms. We have helped 372 homeless veterans off the streets and into the safety of hotel rooms since March 2020.
- Project Safer Ground: As of 7/20/2020, BFHP has entered into partnership with Alameda County, taking over the Rodeway Inn and Quality Inn on University in Berkeley. BFHP has filled all 69 hotel rooms with people experiencing homelessness in Berkeley, Emeryville and Albany.
- Berkeley Respite Program: As of 6/22/2020, BFHP has taken over 18 RV trailers in Berkeley and one single-family home, moving people over the age of 65 and experiencing homelessness off the streets and into safety to shelter in place.
- Dwight Way Center: Our 32 bed shelter for men, 32 bed shelter for women, 12 bed transitional housing for veterans, and five single room occupancy units for veterans have been open 24/7 since 3/13/2020, providing a safe space for clients to shelter in place with increased sanitation measures.
- Meals Program: As of 7/1/2020 our Community Meal has moved to Dwight Way and serves to-go meals Monday through Friday. The Meals Program also makes three meals per day for the clients in the Berkeley Respite Program and the Dwight Way Center.
- Russell Street Residence: our 21-bed board and care, serving people who previously experienced homelessness and have a mental health diagnosis continues operations, providing a safe place to shelter in place.
Ways you can help:
- In-kind donations: We are using supplies very quickly and as many have experienced, it remains difficult to maintain the appropriate level of supplies we need during this time. We still welcome the donations of: new N95 masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, bleach, rubber gloves, paper towels, and toilet paper. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate dropping off donations.
- Monetary donations: Your donation will help keep shelters open 24/7 and maintain elevated needs for staffing, food, and supplies. Additionally, With your help we can continue these added measures to aid in the communal fight and help our clients through this pandemic. Your support of our efforts will have an immediate impact.
Special thank you to the following funders for their support of our increased need during COVID-19:
- The BFHP Board of Directors
- The Jewish Teen Foundation of the Jewish Community Federation & Endowment Fund
- The San Francisco Foundation
- The Bald for Small Business campaign
Please follow us on social media as we navigate this journey.
For updates to your inbox, please subscribe to our mailing list below.